Apply an On-Account Amount
Apply an on-account amount to a customer invoice to distribute a customer's on-account balance.
This can occur when a customer remits an amount greater than the invoice's due amount. You must post the customer receipt as an on-account amount before you can apply it to an invoice. If you haven't posted the customer receipt yet, you can modify the customer receipt to distribute the entire receipt instead of posting the on-account and applying it separately.
- On the Enter Customer Receipts screen, enter the details of the on-account payment and assign it to a posting group.
- Select a payment type of By On Account Amount and select the on-account amount in the Transaction Number field.
- Review the customer payments in the posting group.
- Modify the details of the on-account payment and assign it to a different posting group, if needed.
- Open the Post Cash Receipts screen to post the customer payments in the posting group.Important: Once you post a customer payment, you can no longer modify it. If you need to make any changes after posting, void the customer payment, and then repeat the process described above. For more information, see Void a Customer Payment .