New Features for the United States
The following new features have been added for year end 2021:
- New 1099-NEC forms. The IRS has released new versions of the 1099-NEC Form
for the 2021 tax year. The 1099-MISC form remains unchanged.Note: Prior year 1099 forms will not work in 2021, so you must use the new forms.
- W-2 Build Enhancements. For ease of use, the following enhancements have been
made to the W-2 Build screen:
- Other Deductions in Box 14. When defining Other Deductions, the user will select the type of code instead of using an asterisk or plus sign.
- Reporting FFCRA Wages on W-2s. When reporting COVID wages from the Families First Coronavirus Act (FFCRA) or American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) on W2's, the IRS requires qualified sick leave wages and qualified family leave wages must be included in Boxes 1, 3 (up to the social security wage base) and 5 on the Build W-2 Forms screen. They also must be reported in Box 14. As it is possible to have three items plus up to three FFCRA items and three ARPA items for an employee, the Build process will create extra forms automatically. Note that the FFCRA covers COVID earnings in the first quarter of 2021. ARPA covers COVID earnings in the second and third quarters of 2021.
- County and Local Tax Descriptions in Box 20. The county or local tax jurisdiction must fit within an eight-character field. Review the Override Descriptions window and modify labels for clarity.
- Update State Tax ID's. The Update State Tax ID option on W-2 Maintenance now includes Entities.
- Year End Update No Longer Purges Employees. The 'Purge employees at year-end' checkbox has been removed from Employee Main Properties. In earlier versions of Spectrum, the only way to delete an employee was at year-end. Terminated employees marked as 'Purge employee at year-end' would be deleted during the Year-End Update. Today, the recommended method to purge an employee is to use the Delete Employee from Current Company found in . The checkbox will continue to appear only for those employees that were marked 'purge employee at year-end' when the release was loaded. It is important to note that the employee will not be purged regardless of this setting. Once on 2021 R3, if the checkbox is deselected, the option will disappear and no longer be available. Instead of purging employees during the Year-End Update, a report will be provided with these employees listed. Instructions on the report instruct the reader to use the Delete Employee from Current Company utility.
- Employee Home Email Used for Nelco 1095-C Export. When building Form 1095-C, the system looks for the employee email address for processing with Nelco. Spectrum will first look to the employee's 'Home email'. If that field is <BLANK>, then it will use the employee's 'Work email'. This now follows the same pattern as found in W-2s.
- Ability to Reprint Historical W-2s. Last year we added the ability to save a "backup" copy of the W-2 file. Select the 'History year' checkbox in the Print W-2s screen and enter the year desired. Only data saved using the backup option are available for reprint.
- Aatrix electronic payroll e-filing. Available on Trimble Construction One systems only, the Aatrix Report Filing screen has been added to the Reports menu. This screen will generate an Aatrix Universal File (AUF) report that will be uploaded to Aatrix's website for electronic filing. Currently, the US 941 and W-2 forms are available for electronic filing. The Tax Table Maintenance list box, Worker's Compensation Code Maintenance list box, Add-ons / Deduction Maintenance list box have all been enhanced to include columns to identify Aatrix mapping.