Sort and Filter the Estimate
Sorting and filtering the estimate enables you to organize all the cost items in the estimate. Sorting the estimate orders all the cost items in the estimate into an order you specify, such as alphabetically by description or by quantity from smallest to largest. You can sort the entire estimate or you can sort only the cost items you select. Filtering the estimate enables you to show only items that match the criteria you specify for the filter. All items that don't match the criteria are hidden from the Estimate tab. If you sort or filter the estimate, the status bar below the Estimate toolbar displays the estimate as sorted or filtered. The criteria of a filtered estimate appear in the filter bar at the top of the estimate and in the headings of printed reports.
Filtering enables you to view subsets of the estimate. To filter the estimate, you specify filter criteria. The items that match the criteria are shown in the estimate, and items that don't match the criteria are hidden. Filtering the estimate makes it easy to calculate subtotals and generate a list of cost items for printing. For example, if you were to filter by a WBS or UBS code that stored the subcontractor responsible for completing the task the cost item is associated with, you could generate a list of cost items for each subcontractor.
You can show all the items in an estimate after you have filtered it. This ensures that all the items that are part of the estimate appear in the Estimate tab.
You can view header level information in the estimate using WBS codes, allowing you to organize and breakout the estimate as needed and reducing the need for nested list assemblies. Click on the level you want to view in the WBS Filter pane in the Estimate tab.
An additional line for the filtered totals appears at the bottom of the Estimates tab, giving you financial details for the filtered items. The totals in the filter row appear in blue font. If the filtered estimate has the same unit of measure, the totals at the bottom of the Estimate tab display the total quantity and unit price of the cost items.
Once you have created the Summary Tab for the estimate, you can also filter by summary levels and view the totals for selected level. The additional line for the filtered totals also appears when you filter by summary level.
You can pin and unpin the WBS Filter panel and select the location for the panel on the screen, allowing you to configure the screen to fit your needs.
Click to pin the panel so it displays at all times.
Click to unpin the panel so it only displays when you mouse over its tab.
With the panel pinned, click and hold on the title bar of the panel. Drag the panel to the new location on the screen, using the guides (shown below):
- If you filter on all cost items in the Estimate tab, cost items that are members of an enterprise level assembly or visual assembly are not displayed on the Takeoff tab.
- Annotations are not filtered. Therefore, you can edit or delete an annotation even if the associated cost item is not displayed in the Estimate panel tab.
To open a job in the Manage Estimates screen, click OK.in the All Tasks pane. Then select the job you want to open, and click
- Multiple users can work on the same job in the Estimating tab at the same time. The last person to perform an edit function to an estimate item will have the data retained.
- Any sorts a user performs are temporary unless the job is set to Exclusive mode, which allows you to save sorts. Moving items also requires the job to be set to exclusive, or the move will be temporary.
- To turn Exclusive mode on, get all other users to close the job, then click Set Job Exclusive. Make the changes to the estimate, then turn Exclusive mode off by clicking Set Job Exclusive again.
- You can also lock a job, which not only turns on Exclusive mode, it prevents other users from editing the job. Note that all users can view a locked job. To lock a job, get all other users to close the job, then click Lock Job. To unlock a job, click Lock Job again.
- Any filters performed in the Estimate tab are only seen by the user performing the filter.
- You will see changes occur in real-time by changing tabs in the Manage Estimates screen or by refreshing the Estimate tab.