Setting up a simple Custom Variable
You can set up simple custom variables to use within forms as default answers to text or numeric question types or as values applied within calculation type questions. A simple custom variable has only a single value defined per business unit or project.
Field View enables both simple and complex custom variables. These instructions show you how to set up simple custom variables.
- Confirm that the correct business unit is selected in the Current Business Is field, and that no project is selected in the Current Project Is field.
- Select Custom Variables. , and click
- In the Business Setup - Standards And Templates - Custom Variables screen, click Add Custom Variable.
- In the Add Custom Variable window, enter a name in the Custom Variable Name field.
- In the first Column Name field only, enter a column name.
- If the value of the variable will be a number, select the Is Number check box. Numbers can be used in numeric and calculation question types in forms.
- Click Save.
- In the BusinessUnit pane, in the left column, right-click a business unit for which you have permissions, and select Edit.
- In the Add Custom Variable Detail window, enter a value in the column you just created, and then click Save.
- In the Business Setup - Standards And Templates - Custom Variables screen, make sure your variable and business unit are still selected, and then in the Add Project pane, click Add Project.
- In the Add Project window, select the project to which you want to assign the variable.
- Leave the Copy the Business Units Variable's (Recommended) check box selected.
- Click Save.
To override the business unit's value for this
variable in a project:
- In the Add Project pane, right-click the project and select Edit.
- In the Add Custom Variable Detail window, change the value in the column you created, and click Save.