About the JC Contract Items Form
The JC Contract Items form used to set up and maintain items for a contract.
You can only access this form by double-clicking an item record on the Items tab in JC Contracts, or by selecting any item in the grid and then selecting.
A contract item is a breakdown of the contract, according to the owner’s coding. For example, if the contract is for a general contractor, the contract items will typically be the schedule of values. If the contract is for a heavy/highway contractor, then contract items will typically be the state’s bid items. These items will be the breakdown on a job billing, generally a progress billing.
- Start Month - You must specify a start month for each contract item. The
start month is used to store the original contract amount and cost estimates
for the contract item. If you change the start month after you set up
original amounts and cost estimates for the contract item, the system will
move the original amounts and cost estimates to the new month.Note: If you change the contract's start month (header level), you will receive a message asking if you want to update contract items with the old month to the new month. Because original amounts and cost estimates follow the contract item start month, consider the ramifications before selecting to update items.
- Bill Type - For each item on the contract, the
Bill Type option determines how the item is to be billed
(in Job Billing):
Note: If you change the Bill Type for an item after it has been billed, a message displays informing you that the item has been previously billed, and that the change may result in differences to the Previous Billed amounts in JB. The record will be saved; however, you may need to edit the previous amounts manually.
- Progress - Items will be billed on a percent complete or units complete basis.
- T & M - Items will be billed on a Time & Materials basis.
- Both - Items will be billed on a Time & Materials and/or Progress basis. You will typically use this option for items that you bill on a T&M basis with a progress backup.
- None - Items will not be billed through Job Billing.
For information on how items are initialized based on bill type, see JB Bill Initialization in Related Topics below.
- Taxes - For each contract item you set up, you must determine whether or not taxes will be posted, and how they will be updated and tracked. If not posting taxes to the contract item, leave the Tax Code field blank.
- Markup Rate - If you will be billing on a T&M basis, the markup rate specified here will be used when the Markup Option field is set to S-Rate for a template sequence. If the template sequence does not specify a markup rate, the markup rate specified here is used. Each item on the billing will use its own rate when calculating billing amounts, unless the sequence type is Total Addon, and a contract item has been specified for the template sequence. In which case, the markup rate for the specified contract item is used. If that contract item does not have a markup rate specified here, then each item on the billing will use its own markup rate.