Process a Pending Purchase Order
If you are using the Workflow module, you can create and process pending purchase orders using the PO Pending Purchase Orders form.
- Enter the pending purchase order.
- In PO Pending Purchase Order, enter the PO and PO item
information.Note: This is just like entering a PO using the PO Purchase Orders Entry form, but the pending PO will not be processed in a batch until after it is approved. One exception is that the PO Pending Purchase Orders form also does not currently include SM Work Order type PO items.
- If the PO needs to be reviewed/approved, the Workflow Status field displays Approval Required. If a workflow applies, the Workflow and Submit for Approval buttons are enabled. These buttons are used to process the PO.
- Click the Workflow button to view the users that need to review/approve the PO. For more information about this process, see About the PO Workflow Item Reviewers / PO Pending Reviewers form.
- In PO Pending Purchase Order, enter the PO and PO item information.
- Notify the reviewer/approver.
- Click the Submit for
Approval button to submit the PO for approval. The users
that need to review/approve the PO will be notified. Note: If you receive a "There are no approvers with a limit high enough to approve this PO" error message, contact the administrator that creates the workflows.
- Once you submit the PO for approval, you can track its progress in
- Workflow History tab - This tab displays the history of the PO, for example the comments entered by reviewers/approvers, when it was submitted for approval, and when it was approved/rejected.
- Work Center - Open the My Documents in Workflow query in the Work Center that you use to process purchase orders. This displays a list of purchase orders that you have created, and their progress in a workflow.
- Workflow button - Click the Workflow button on the form that was used to create the PO. This launches the PO Workflow Item Reviewers form, which displays the progress of the PO in the workflow process and any comments that have been entered.
- If needed, enter comments for a reviewer. You can do this by clicking the Workflow button, double-clicking in the Comments field on the form that displays, and then entering the comments.
- If needed, make changes to the PO after it has been submitted. However, if you change the items on a PO, the PO is removed from the workflow process and must be resubmitted for approval once your changes are complete.
- Click the Submit for Approval button to submit the PO for approval. The users that need to review/approve the PO will be notified.
- Review and approve the PO.
- Open the Work Center that you use to review/approve purchase orders.
Click for information on adding a Work Center to your application
window that can be used to review/approve POs.For information about adding a Work Center for reviewing/approving POs, see Process Workflow.
- Open the My Documents to Review option in the Work Center menu. A list of POs that you need to approve/review will display. This is a list of POs, not PO items.
- You can now perform any of the following actions:
Note: Attachments added here are associated with a specific PO item and reviewer/approver, and will only display on the WF Document Review Edit form. To ensure attachments are not deleted when changes are made to a PO/PO Item, select the Retain attachments after record delete check box on the DM Attachment Options form. If the PO is edited, all attachments added here become stand-alone attachments, which you can view using the DM Attachment Index Search form and filtering by the Stand Alone option.
- View the PO Items - Double click on a PO to drill down to the items.
- Edit the purchase order - Select the PO from the list and click Open. The PO is opened in the form that was used to create it. Once you complete your changes, resubmit the PO for approval.
- Approve the purchase order - From the Workflow Document Review, select a PO to approve and click Approve Document (). This automatically approves all items on the PO to which you are assigned as a reviewer.
- Reject the purchase order - From the Workflow Document Review, select a PO to approve and click Document (). This automatically rejects all items on the PO to which you are assigned as a reviewer.
- Add comments - To add a comment, double click on a PO in the My Documents to Review query in the Work Center, select a PO item, and click Add Comments (). This opens the WF Document Review Edit form.
- Add attachments - From the My Documents to Review query, double click on a PO and then select a PO item that displays. Click Attachments () to add an attachment to the selected PO item.
- Open the Work Center that you use to review/approve purchase orders. Click for information on adding a Work Center to your application window that can be used to review/approve POs.
- Process the PO
- Open the approved PO in the PO Pending Purchase Orders form.
- Verify that Approved displays in the Workflow Status field at the bottom of the form.
- Click Process. This
will open the Batch Selection form. The Batch Selection form opens.
- Select to process the PO in an existing PO batch or create a new
batch.Tip: You can exit this form if you do not want to post the batch right away. For example you can add multiple POs to a single batch, and then validate and post them all at once.
- Validate the batch, preview/print the batch reports, and then post the batch.