Importing Data from Third-Party Systems
The Imports module enables you to import data from third-party systems into the Vista™ by Viewpoint database.
This topic provides an overview of how to process imports. For more information on using specific forms, click the associated links in the steps below.
To import data from third-party systems:
- Confirm that your third-party data file conforms to a supported file format. For more information, see Setting Import File Formats.When you import data files, you can include documents to be attached to data records during the import process. In header/detail forms, documents can be imported only with header records. Documents can be imported using only a delimited file format. For more information about selecting the delimited file format and configuring the data file correctly for importing documents as attachments, see the Delimited File Format section of Setting Import File Formats.
- Select the import template that you want to use, or create a new one, using IM Template. For more information, see About the IM Template Form.
- If you are importing data that requires conversion, or you are importing data that is not compatible with Vista™ by Viewpoint, create a cross-reference in IM Cross Reference. For more information, see IM Cross Reference.
- Apply any applicable cross-references, and define your field mapping, in the import template. For more information, see Setting Import Template Detail.
- If you are importing attached documents along with your data file, confirm that there is a Record Key identifier in the in the import template. See Adding Additional Import Identifiers.
- From a data file generated by your third-party system, import the data using IM Import. For more information, see Import a Data File.
- Review and modify (if necessary) the imported data using IM Work Edit. For more information, see IM Work Edit.
Upload the work edit
file into the system using IM Upload. For more information, see IM Upload.
Note: If you are using a direct import, the system uploads information directly to a database table. If you are using a batch import, the system uploads information to a batch processing form where you can validate data prior to posting. For more information, see Import Types.
- If using a batch import, review batch information using IM Batch ID. For more information, see IM Batch ID.
If using a batch import,
run the applicable batch processing forms. For more information, see Batch Processing.
The import process is now finished. In the future, if you want to purge import templates or import IDs, use IM Import Purge. For more information, see IM Import Purge.