Assign a Lookup to a Field
You can assign lookups to fields.
Lookups are windows that display when F4 is pressed in a field, showing valid data related to that field. Typically, lookups are assigned only to fields that require valid input from a specific table, such as Vendor (APVM), Job (JCJM), Phase (JCPM), and so forth. See F4 - Lookup for general information on lookups.
By default, many standard fields have one or more standard lookups assigned. If multiple lookups are assigned to a field, they are shown as options in the lookup window. For example, when F4 is pressed for the Phase field in JC Cost Adjustments, two lookup options will display: Job Phases and Phase Master. The selected lookup determines what phases display.
You can override the standard lookup with a different standard lookup. If you have created a custom lookup, you can assign it to a specific field in a form (the calling form). If a custom field is associated with a standard datatype (e.g. bJob, bPhase, bVendorSortName, etc.), the datatype's lookup will be used by default. You must be designated as a Form Administrator (in VA User Profile) in order to edit lookup information.
- Press F3 in the field that the lookup was created for. This opens the Field Properties form.
- Open the Lookups tab.
- Enter the name of the lookup in the Lookup field or press F4 to see a list of valid lookups.
- If the Parameters field is enabled, enter lookup parameters in that field. See the F1 Help for more information.
- Select the Active check box to enable the lookup.
- Use the Load Seq field to determine which lookup(s) will display when F4 is pressed from a field, and in what order.
To assign a custom lookup to a field, set the Load Seq field with the number(s) collected in step 4 of Creating a Custom Lookup. Enter the numbers in the order specified by the Where Clause in that step.
To override a standard lookup with a different lookup, set the Load Seq field to 1 for the new lookup, and then clear the Active check box for the overridden standard lookup.
- To add another lookup to a field, repeat steps 3-6 in additional rows in the Lookups grid for that field.
- Click OK. The lookup is now assigned and is ready for use.