Set Parameters for External Applications
When you create a custom form button to launch an external application, and you want to pass parameters to the application, you must understand the types of parameters that the application will accept.
The way in which you configure parameters depends on the application that you are passing information to. When you create a parameter for an external application in VA Custom Form Buttons (Parameters tab), the system passes the value in the Name column to the external application in this format: NAME=VALUE (where value equals what you entered in the DefaultValue field). If the name field is blank, the system still passes the parameter, but a name will not be associated (so the system simply passes VALUE). The external application must have some way of receiving and processing parameters.
In the following example, we will place a button on PM Contracts to open a third-party estimating application and pass parameters for the login name and password.
- On the Info tab in VA Custom Form Buttons, create the custom form button. Make sure to specify PM Contracts as the form you are placing the form on, and the third-party application in the Action field. For more information, see Creating Custom Form Buttons.
- Select the Parameters tab.
- Enter a parameter number in the Parameter ID field or enter ‘New’, ‘N’, or ‘+’ to have the system generate the next available number.
- Enter the name of the third-party application’s login field in the Name field.
- Select 0-Fixed Value from the Default Type drop-down.
- In the Default Value field, enter the login name to pass to the third-party application.
- Repeat steps 4 – 6 to create a parameter for the password.
- Save the record.
- Open PM Contracts and reposition the button, as necessary.
- Click the custom form button. The system opens the third-party application with the login and password fields populated with the default values you specified on the Parameters tab.