About Leave Requests
The HR leave request forms allow employees/resources to enter leave requests and managers/supervisors to review and approve requests.
Once the request is approved or denied, the system sends the employee an email notification detailing the status of the leave request.
This topic provides an overview of the leave request process. For more information on the forms used in the process, refer to Related Topics below.
- Creating Schedule Leave Codes - Prior to using the leave request functionality, you must create schedule codes associated with a leave type in HR Codes. If you do not create a schedule leave code, resources are unable to enter leave requests in the system. To assign a leave type to a schedule code in HR Codes, select the Leave Type check box and specify the code in the PR Leave Code field.
- Creating Approval Groups - Prior to using the leave request functionality, you must create approval groups in HR Approval Groups. An approval group can consist of up to two approvers, as well as any number of resources. Typically, managers and supervisors are set up as leave approvers. There are two approver designations, primary and secondary. The designations are informational only and do not establish a workflow; either approver can review and approve requests immediately. You can have the system email the approvers whenever a resource associated with the approval group enters a leave request in HR Leave Request. Once you create the approval group, you can assign resources to the group in HR Resources (Leave Approval Group field, Other Info tab). You can only associate a resource with a single approval group.
- Requesting Leave - Resources use the HR Leave Request form to enter leave
requests. This form displays the resource’s available leave, pending leave, and
balance leave. Resources can use this form to post single day or multi-day
requests. Additionally, a resource can change a leave request, as long as the
request as a status of ‘New’. Once the status of the request changes, resources
are unable to delete or change the leave request. Once the resource enters the
request, the system sends an email to approvers with the Email Notification
check box selected in HR Approval Groups. The approvers use HR Leave Approval to
set a status for the leave request. Note: Leave totals displayed in HR Leave Request may not be accurate if information has not been posted recently from PR. Use the PR Auto Leave Accrual/Usage form to post PR information to the HR module. To ensure that leave information is accurate, make sure to post PR information regularly.
- Reviewing Leave Requests - Approvers use the HR Leave Approval form to review
leave requests. Using this form, approvers can filter for a specific approval
group, leave request status, date or resource. Depending on the resource
selected in the form grid, the resource’s leave information (available leave,
pending leave, balance leave) displays on the form. The approver can then update
each leave request with a new status (Approved, Denied, or Cancelled) and add
any additional comments. Once the approver updates the leave request status, the
system sends an email to the resource detailing the updated status. The resource
may also check the status of all requests using HR Leave Request. Note: Leave totals displayed in HR Leave Approval may not be accurate if information has not been posted recently from PR. Use the PR Auto Leave Accrual/Usage form to post PR information to the HR module. To ensure that leave information is accurate, make sure to post PR information regularly.
- Modifying Leave Requests - HR personnel can use the HR Resource Schedule form to
modify leave requests. Typically, this occurs when an employee wants to cancel
or change an approved leave request or you need to leave request information and
the employee is not available (e.g., out sick). Note: The HR Resource Schedule form is designed for HR personnel and should not be available to general system users.