About Record of Employment Reporting

(Canada only) An overview for the ROE process.

Submit the Record of Employment (ROE) form to Service Canada for employees who have received insurable earnings and have experienced an interruption of earnings (typically this includes termination, leave, and so on).

Service Canada uses the ROE report to determine:
  • whether a person is eligible to receive Employment Insurance benefits

  • how much the benefit amount will be
  • how long the person can receive the benefit.
You may choose to submit the ROE report via paper or electronically.

The following provides an overview for the ROE process. Click the links for more detailed information.

  1. Make sure that your earnings codes have been set appropriately for ROE reporting. For more information, see the field help for the Insurable Earnings field of the PR Earnings Code form.
  2. Make sure that any Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) liability codes that are set up in the PR Deductions/Liabilities form have the ROE Insurable check box selected.
    These are liabilities that you pay to the investment manager for the employee's retirement account, but the amounts are reported on the ROE as insurable earnings for the employee.
  3. When an employee has an interruption of earnings, you must make sure that you have filled in the Most Recent Rehire Date and Separation Date fields in the PR Employees form. The system does not create ROE records for employees without these dates specified. For more information, see About Setting Up Employees for ROE Reporting.
  4. Create employee ROE records. For more information, see Creating Employee ROE Records.
  5. Review the employee ROE records that you plan on submitting. For more information, see About Reviewing Employee ROE Records.
  6. Generate the ROE electronic file to submit to Service Canada. For more information, see Generating an ROE Electronic File.