Set T4 Information for the Current Tax Year
(Canada only) Use the PR Canada T4 form to set up T4 information for the current tax year.
- When setting up a tax year for T4s, you have the option to initialize (copy) data from the previous year.
- Viewpoint provides T4 updates in year-end regulatory updates. You can accept or modify the default values from the previous year.
- If after initializing, you load the year-end regulatory update, the PR Canada T4 form will display a warning stating that you should initialize again.
- You may need to create a T4 tax year earlier in the year in order to generate PR PIER Reports.
To set up tax year information for T4s:
- Create a new record for the current tax year by clicking the New Record button on the toolbar and entering the year in the Tax Year field.If you processed T4s in the previous year, field values default automatically.
- Enter any needed company information in the rest of the fields on the form.
- Save the record.
- Click Initialize Employer T4 Items/Codes. If you processed T4s in the previous year, the system displays a message asking whether you want to use the previous year's box items and codes.
- Click Yes to use the previous year's information or click No to default all items and codes to the T4 Box Items and T4 Other Codes tabs.
- Review the items on the T4 Box Items tab and add or remove items as necessary. Additionally, associate the appropriate earnings, deduction, or liability code with each item, if necessary.For more information, see Add, Edit, and Delete Box Items for T4 Reporting.
- Review the items on the T4 Other Codes tab and add or remove codes as necessary. Additionally, associate the appropriate earnings, deduction, or liability code with each item, if necessary.For more information, see Determine 'Other Codes' for T4 Reporting.
- Click Initialize Employee Slips to initialize employees to the T4 Employees tab for the specified tax year. The system initializes all employees with earnings, deduction, or liability data for the codes specified on the T4 Box Items or T4 Other Codes tabs.Note: If you have already initialized employees, the system gives you these options:You can add additional employees to the Employees related tab as necessary or enter data using the PR Canada T4 Employees form (accessed by double-clicking any record in the Employees tab).
- overwrite the existing employees
- merge data together
- cancel the operation.
For more information, see Set Employees for T4 Reporting.
- Save the record.
- When you install the
year-end regulatory update that includes new box item and code information, you
should return to this form and follow the instructions that will appear in red
near the top of the form. In most cases, you will be instructed to click
Initialize Employer T4 Items/Codes first, then Initialize
Employee Slips. This is required for up-to-date reporting using
the latest box items and codes.Note: If any new items or codes are added to the T4 Box Items and T4 Other Codes tabs during the employer initialization, and you intend to report amounts for those items or codes, then you should associate appropriate earnings, deduction, or liability codes with those items or codes prior to performing the employee initialization.
You can now create and submit T4s using Aatrix. For more information, see Create and Submit T4s Using Aatrix.