You will use the PR W-2 Process form to process W-2s, from initializing header, Federal, and State information to initiating the print and eFile process via Aatrix.
Beginning December 2021, you must print and eFile W-2s using Aatrix. If you have not yet installed Aatrix on your local workstation, you must do so prior to processing W-2s. For more information, see Enable Aatrix on a Workstation and Prerequisites to using the Aatrix application.
If Aatrix is not available in your jurisdiction, you can use the PR W-2 Federal e-File form to create a text file that you can then use to submit your Federal W-2s electronically to the Social Security Administration (SSA). For more information, see Create a Federal W-2 Electronic File.
- In the PR W-2 Process form, set up your company information for W-2 processing.
- Click Initialize Header. The system uses default values for Earnings, Deductions, or Liability codes on the Federal Information and State/Local Information tabs. The system uses the same values that you initialized for the previous year.
- Select the Federal Information tab and set federal information for W-2 processing, as necessary.
- Click Initialize Federal.The system updates each employee record (Employees tab/PR W-2 Employee Edit) with federal W-2 information.Important: If you do not initialize the federal information before switching to another tab or form, any changes you made to the Federal Information tab will be lost.
- Select the State/Local Information tab and set state and local deductions for W-2 processing, as necessary.
- Click Initialize State. The system updates each employee record (Employees tab/PR W-2 Employee Edit) with state/local W-2 information.
- Select the State Box 14 Information tab and enter state-specific box 14 information.
- Click Initialize State Box 14. The system updates each employee record (Employees tab/PR W-2 Employee Edit) with box 14 information. State-specific information shows only if earnings or taxes were paid in that state.
- Edit W-2 information for individual employees, as necessary. Important: If you make any changes outside the W-2 process after initializing, you must re-initialize before you proceed to capture those changes.
- Review federal and state reporting information to make sure that all of the necessary information has been entered and is correct. For more information, see Preview Federal and State W-2 Reporting Information.
- Click .The PR Aatrix - W2 Print and eFile form opens.Note: If Aatrix is not available in your jurisdiction, use the PR W-2 Federal e-File form to create a text file for electronic submission. For more information, see Create a Federal W-2 Electronic File.
- In the Tax Year field, enter the tax year.
- From the Form Type selection box, select the W-2 form to process.
- Click Continue to launch Aatrix.
- Follow the prompts in the Aatrix application to complete the process.Note: The Aatrix application does not send data back to Vista. If you discover errors and make corrections in Vista, you must re-upload the data to Aatrix.