Set State-Specific Box 14 Information for W-2 Processing
You can set state-specific deductions to the Box 14 tab in PR W-2 Process so that they will print in Box 14 of the W-2.
Using this tab, you can enter as many records as you want, but the system will print only the first eight (8) records with amounts greater than zero on W-2s. Additionally, the system only allows you to add up to twelve (12) lines per state on this form.
To set state-specific deductions for processing W-2s:
- In the State field, enter the state or press F4 to select from a list of states.
- In the
Line field, enter a line number to add a state-specific record. Note: The system processes lines in numerical order (from smallest to greatest, regardless of the actual numbers that you use). To assist you in keeping track of the number of records per state, you should enter 1 for the first record that you create for an individual state and continue on in sequential order. If you do not enter 1, the system will display a warning, but will allow you to save the record.
- From the EDL Type drop-down, select the type of code you are adding: Earnings, Deduction, or Liability.
- In the Code field, enter the EDL code or press F4 to select from a list of codes.
- In the Description field, enter a description for the code or accept the default.
- Save the record.
- For New Jersey users:Enter the following state-specific information as needed. Make sure these entries correspond with the correct line number, or the file will be rejected.
- For the first line, enter the code used to accumulate the combined NJ Unemployment Insurance, Workforce Development Program, and Health Care Subsidy.
- For the second line, enter the code used to accumulate Disability Insurance. The electronic file will use the plan number from the Private Disability Plan ID# field in PR State Information (Unemployment/Wage Reporting tab).
- If you have a private Family Leave Insurance plan, enter the code used to accumulate Family Leave Insurance in the third line. For this line, enter the plan number in the Description field. When entering the plan number, enter # followed by the plan number (limit this number to 14 alphanumeric characters). If you do not enter a # in the field, the system will not print information for this field in the electronic file (position 299-313).
- For New York users:You may want to configure NY State W-2s to display the NY State earned wages on a line in Box 14. Follow the steps below to make the line display the Subject Amount from PR Employee Accumulations.Note: Using the New York state withholding deduction/liability code is the only case in which the Subject Amount from PR Employee Accumulations will display in Box 14. Using any other deduction/liability code will display the Amount from PR Employee Accumulations instead. For this functionality to work for the state of New York, a state W-2 must be printed for New York.
- In PR State Information form, in the State field, enter NY or press F4 to select NY from a list.
- In the Tax Dedn field, take note of the deduction code being used for New York State withholding tax.
- In PR W-2 Process, open the State Box 14 Information tab.
- In the State field, enter NY.
- In the Line field, enter a line number.
- In the EDL Type field, enter D-Deduction.
- In the Code field, press F4 to select the deduction code for the New York state withholding tax (that you took note of in Step 2).
- In the Description field, enter NY State Wages (or something similar).
- Click Initialize State Box 14.
- For Oregon users:To report Oregon Transit Tax withheld for employees residing or working in Oregon, you must add the Oregon Transit Tax deduction to the Box 14 list in PR W-2 Process. However, when you generate the W-2s (via Aatrix), the Oregon Transit Tax prints in the Local section in Boxes 18, 19, and 20; it does not print in Box 14.