Set Up Variable Earnings for Craft Classes
You can use the Variable Earnings tab in PR Craft Classes to set up variable earnings.
Variable earnings override the pay rate calculations and are used when the pay rate times the earnings factor will not produce a desired rate.
For example: Shift 1 pays $10/hour for straight time and $15/hr for time and a half, whereas Shift 2 pays $12/hr for straight time and $15/hr for time and a half. Shift 1 can use the pay rate and factor to calculate the proper rate, and no variable earnings are needed. However, Shift 2 overtime is not 1.5 times its straight time pay rate, so variable earnings must be set up to override the standard calculation.
When you enter timecards, the system will compare the variable overtime rates set up on this the Variable Earnings tab to the employee's rate. The system will only use the variable overtime rate if it is the higher of the two rates. If you are using variable rates and auto-overtime, the system calculates the overtime rate using what is set up at the craft/class level.
The following instructions detail how to set up variable earnings for craft classes.
- In PR Craft Classes, select the craft class for which to set up variable earnings.
- Select the Variable Earnings tab.
- In the Shift field, enter a shift number.
In the Earn
Code field, enter a valid earnings code or press F4
to select from a list of valid earnings codes.
Note: Do not specify an add-on earnings on this tab.
- In the Old Rate field, enter the old rate for the shift. The system will use this rate for timecards entered prior to the Effective Date specified in PR Crafts or PR Craft Template.
- In the New Rate field, enter the new rate for the shift. The system will use this rate for timecards entered on or after the Effective Date specified in PR Crafts or PR Craft Template.
- Save the record.