Set up an Employee's Filing Status for Federal W-4s (U.S.)
For each employee you set up, you must add filing status information for Federal tax withholding, based on the information provided on Form W-4.
PR Employees, Filing Status tab
PR Employee Dedns/Liabs, Info tab
HR Resources, Filing Status tab
The following instructions detail how to enter federal filing status information for an employee based on the new Form W-4. Use the F1 help for additional information about each field
- Choose one of the following methods for entering an employee's filing status information:
- Open PR Employees, select the employee to work with, and click the Filing Status tab.
- Open PR Employee Dedns/Liabs and select the employee to work with.
- Open HR Resources, select the resource to work with, and click the Filing Status tab.
- Enter the Federal deduction code as follows:
- In PR Employees or HR Resources, use the Dedn Code field.
- In PR Employee Dedns/Liabs, use the Dedn/Liab Code field.
- From the Filing Status drop-down, select the employee's filing status based on the check box selected in Step 1c of Form W-4.
- S = Single or Married filing separately
- M = Married filing jointly or Qualifying surviving spouse
- H = Head of Household
- If this is a new employee, leave the following fields blank, as they are not used.
- Regular Exempt's
- Add'l Exempt's
- Override Misc Amount #1 / Over Misc
- Misc Amount #1 / Misc Amt1
- Misc Factor
For existing employees, it is recommended that you clear these fields to avoid confusion; however, if you leave values in these fields, the system ignores them and uses the values entered in the new W-4 fields (Steps 5-9)
- If the employee selected the multiple jobs check box in Step 2b on Form W-4, select the Multiple Jobs Checked check box.
- If the employee entered an amount in Step 3, Line 3 on Form W-4, enter that amount in the Dependent Amount field. This is the total annual dollar amount to be claimed as a dependent deduction.
- If the employee entered an amount in Step 4a on Form W-4, enter that amount in the Other Income field. This is the total annual income the employee expects during the year that will not have withholding
- If the employee entered an amount in Step 4b on Form W-4, enter that amount in the Other Deductions field. This is the total annual dollar amount for deductions other than the standard deduction.
- If the employee entered an amount in Step 4c on Form W-4:
- Set the Add-On type to Amount.
- In the Rate/Amount field, enter the amount from Step 4c on Form W-4. This amount is deducted per pay period
- Save the record.