Set up Special Payments Earnings Codes
(Canada only) You must create dedicated earnings codes that will be used exclusively for each type of special payment.
- paid sick leave
- wage-loss insurance (WLI)
For information on how to determine when you may need to select any of the special payment options, refer to the "How to Complete the Record of Employment Form" document on the Service Canada website.
- create dedicated earnings codes that will be used exclusively for each type of special payment
- for each earnings code, set up the applicable special payment information in the Record of Employment section of the PR Earnings Codes form.
To set up special payment information for an earnings code:
- In the PR Earnings Codes form, select the earnings code for which you are setting up special payment information.
- Click on the Add'l Info tab.
- If this is an earnings for which EI premiums are
paid, or if CRA rules specify this earnings to be insurable, select the Insurable
Earnings check box.If you do not select this check box, earnings associated with this earnings code are not included within Insurable Earnings in ROE reporting.
- If the hours associated with this earnings are
insurable per CRA rules, select the Insurable
Hours check box.If you do not select this check box, hours associated with this earnings code will not be included within Insurable Hours in ROE reporting.
- Select the Special check box.
- From the Type drop-down, select the special payment type of payment.
Available options are: PSL01-Paid Sick Leave, MAT01-Maternity, WLI01-Wage-Loss
Indemnity (Not EI Insurable), and WLI02-Wage-Loss Indemnity (EI Insurable).
- PSL01-Paid Sick Leave
- WLI01-Wage-Loss Indemnity (Not EI Insurable)
- WLI02-Wage-Loss Indemnity (EI Insurable)
- From the Period drop-down, select D-Per Day or W-Per Week to indicate how often you will make special payments to the employee.
- Save the record.Note: In order for the system to generate accurate special payment information for an employee ROE record, you should adhere to the following guidelines when processing payroll.
- For a given period of employment (or interrupted earnings) for an employee, use only one earnings code per special payment type.
- Use only one type of special payment per payment period. If employees are eligible for more than one type of special payment after their last day of work, special payments for the first type should be complete before special payments of the second type begin.
- Special payments should be made to employees on a regular daily or weekly schedule, in accordance with what you specified in the Period drop-down. The system calculates the special payment amount as the average of these regular, recurring payments.
- If you selected daily, you should post one timecard per day.
- If you selected weekly, you should post one timecard per week.