Set up an Override Bill of Materials
Use the IN Bill of Materials Override form to set up an override bill of materials.
When you set up an override bill of materials, you have the option to set up the component materials manually or by initialization. However, you can only use the initialization feature if:
- you have set up a bill of materials for the location group associated with the finished good's location, AND
- you only want to change the composition of the raw materials, AND
- changes to initialized values are specific to the location and will not affect the standard Bill of Materials.
If you want to use component materials from different locations, you must set these up manually.
To set up an override bill of materials:
- In the Location field, enter the location of the finished good or press F4 to select from a list of valid locations.
- In the Finished Material field, enter the finished good or press F4 to select from a list of valid materials. The system automatically defaults the description and UM, which cannot be changed.
- In the Notes field, enter any pertinent information about this finished good.
- Save the record. A message displays asking if you want to initialize the components.
to initialize the components defined on the standard bill of materials for the
location group to this override bill of materials or No
to set up an override bill of materials manually.
If a standard bill of materials does not exist for the location group, no components will be initialized to the grid and you will need to enter them manually (see below).
- Click on the Components tab.
If you are setting up the override bill of materials manually:
- In the Component Location field, enter the location of the component (raw) material or press F4 for a list of valid locations.
- In the Component Material field, enter the component needed for this finished good or press F4 to select from a list of valid materials for the specified location.
If the finished good is
measured in units, use the Units field to enter the
number of units needed of the raw material to complete one unit of the finished
If the finished good is measured in weight, use the % Weight field to enter the percentage of the raw material that makes up one weight unit of the finished good for this location. For example, if the unit of measure for the finished good is TON, enter the percent of one ton that is needed of the raw material.
- Save the record.
- Repeat steps 7-9 for each additional component that makes up one unit of the finished good.