Using Document Builder
Use the Document Builder launched from the PM Send Documents form to configure how the generated documents, attachments, and reports will be organized in the email sent to the project contacts.
This is part of the Create and Send feature.
Follow the steps below to configure how the project documents (RFIs, submittals, etc.), reports, and attachments included in the email will be organized into a single PDF, or multiple PDFs. Once the set up is complete, you can preview how the PDF(s) will appear.
- Open the Documents tab on the PM Send Documents form.
- By default the Collate into a single PDF document box is checked. Leave this box checked if you want all of the documents, reports, and attachments included in the email to be combined into a single PDF document.
If you uncheck this box, the system will create a separate PDF for each generated document and report on the Documents tab. The associated attachments will also be added to the communication as separate documents (standalone attachments).
You can also use the Document Builder to group the attachments with a document or report. This will be covered later in this process.
- Click the Document Builderbutton to configure the PDF that is included in the email. This will open the PM Send Document Builder form.
- Drag and drop the items on the Document Order tab to change the order of the items included in the PDF.
The records associated with the documents and reports will display
Each record associated with a generated document and report included in the email (the documents and reports on the Documents tab of the PM Send Documents form) will display as a separate item on the tab. For example if the email includes an RFI and subcontract document, and a change order report, the RFI, subcontract, change order record associated with those items will each display as a separate item in the tab.
The selected attachments associated with those records will also display
The selected attachments that are associated with the records will also display on the tab. These are the attachments that were selected using the Attachments tab on the PM Send Document form.
The attachments grouped with a generated document or report will be added to the end of the generated PDF. For example an attachment that is grouped with an RFI will be added to the end of the PDF document generated for the RFI.
The attachments in the Standalone Attachments section will be added to the email as separate files.
Drag and drop the attachments to change how the documents, reports, and attachments will be included in the email.
- Select a file on the Document Order tab and then use the Options section to set the print options.
Orientation and Scaling fields enable based on the type of file selected
The Orientation and Scaling fields are enabled based on the type of file that is selected.
Orientation - .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .msg, .tif, .tiff, .txt, .png
Scaling - .bmp, .gif, .jpeg, .jpg, .tif, .tiff, .txt, .png, .xls, .xlsx.
- Use the Document Layout tab to configure the headers and footers, table of contents, and page numbers on the PDF.
- Use the Include drop down to select what will be included in the PDF. If you include a header and/or footer, they will display on every page of the PDF, including the table of contents and cover page.
- Use the Header and Footer fields to customize the header and footer of the PDF. These fields are enabled/disabled based on the selection in the Include field.
- Check the Include Table of Contents box if the PDF should include a table of contents. Each item on the Document Order tab will display as an unique entry on the table of contents. Users will be able to click on these entries to jump to specific items.
- Check the Show Page Numbers box to include page numbers on the PDF. This will enable the Page Number Alignment field to select where the page number will be placed.
Use the Document Cover
tab to add a cover page to the PDF. If you included a table of contents in the
PDF, the cover page will display before the table of contents.
Check the Include Document Cover box and then enter the information that should display on the cover page in the section in the lower portion of the tab.
- Click OKto save your changes and close the Document Builder. This will return you to the PM Send Documents form.
File name of the PDF
The file name of the PDF is set up using the PM Create & Send Settings form (Info> Document File Naming Convention section). More
Optional: Use the
Tasks drop down at the top of the PM Send Documents form to
preview, save, or attach the document.
There are several options in the Tasks drop down at the top of the PM Send Documents form.
Save Document As - Generate and save a PDF document.
Attach to source - Generate a PDF and attachment it to the source record. The source record is the record that was used to launch the PM Send Documents form. For example if you select a submittal in the PM Submittal Register form and then launch the PM Send Document form, the submittal that you selected on the PM Submittal Register form is the source record.
View Document - Generate and view a PDF document.
What is included in the PDF?
The Collate into single PDF document box on the Documents tab of the PM Send Documents form determines what is included in the PDF generated by the Save Document As, Attach Document To Source, and View Document options.
When Collate into single PDF document is checked - All of the documents and reports on the Documents tab of the PM Send Documents form are generated and compiled into a single PDF. The attachments selected on the Attachments tab of the PM Send Documents form are also included in the PDF unless they are set up as standalone attachments using the Document Builder (Doc Builderbutton on the Documents tab).
To set up an attachment as a standalone, click on the Doc Builder button on the Documents tab of the PM Send Documents form. This will open the PM Send Document Builder form. Open the Document Order tab, and then drag and drop the attachment down to the Standalone Attachments section.
When Collate into a single PDF document is not checked - When the Collate into single PDF document box is not checked, only the document or report that is selected on the Documents tab of the PM Send Documents form is included in the PDF. The attachments selected on the Attachments tab of the PM Send Documents form that are associated with the document or report are also included in the PDF unless they are set up as standalone attachments using the Document Builder (Doc Builder button on the Documents tab).