About the Field Properties Form
You can use the Field Properties form to customize fields. For example, you can customize the default value or validation on a field.
- Press F3 while in the field
- Select Tools Field Properties
- Right-click and select Field Properties from the menu that appears
If you access this form from a key field, you are limited in the changes that you can make. The system uses key fields to identify a unique record, and are generally located on a form above the tabs.
User Overrides Tab
This tab is used to set user overrides to default, display, and validation settings that are specific to your login. This includes:
- how a field defaults values; that is, standard default, previous value, fixed value, or variable date.
- whether to skip the field during input
- whether to display the field on the form and/or grid
- whether to display the field’s description (if applicable) in the grid only, above the grid only, or not at all
- whether a value is required in the field
Settings at this level override the system and standard settings, with the exception of settings for key fields and for fields that are hard-coded as ‘Required’ or are designated as ‘Required’ at the System level.
System Overrides Tab
- Custom Validation
- When creating custom validation using the Validation section on the System Overrides tab, be aware of the following:
- The custom validation does not override or replace the system validation - Both the custom and system validation will be applied. When you create custom validation you are adding additional validation. You are not overriding the existing system validation.
- Since both the system and custom validations are applied, they both must be met. For example, this means that you cannot override the system validation with a less restrictive custom validation. The system and the custom validation will both be applied.
For information about setting up validation for custom fields, see UD User Validation.
- Timestamp Notes
- You can set up timestamping on Notes fields so that entries in the field are recorded with the time and date, as well as the user who entered the data.
Timestamping is set up by selecting the Display as Timestamp Note check box on the System Overrides tab for the selected field. However, this option is only enabled for Notes fields using a bNotes datatype (which you can check using the Property Values tab).
If you select the Display as Timestamp Note check box for a Notes field, each time a note is entered, it is timestamped with the date, time, and user's login name. You cannot change or delete the notes, as long as the timestamp function is in effect. Once you deselect the Display as Timestamp Note check box, you can change or delete any previously entered notes.
Property Values Tab
This tab is display only and allows you to see the all of the properties for the selected input, such as column name, control type (e.g. text box, check box, etc.), the datatype (if applicable), default value, grid column sequence, input length and mask, related view, and so forth.
This tab allows you to edit lookup information. This includes assigning lookups to a custom or standard field, as well as changing the parameters, load sequence, and ‘active’ status for existing lookups. For more information, see Assigning a Lookup to a Field.
To edit lookup information, you must be assigned as Form Administrator in VA User Profile.
You can limit the number of records displayed in a lookup. See Setting the Maximum Number of Records for Lookups.